Complementing the optical attributes, this lens also incorporates a four stop-effective optical image stabilization system that minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) also affords quick and accurate autofocus performance, along with full-time manual focus override for fine-tuned control. Additionally, as with all L-series lenses, this 85mm f/1.4 has a dust- and weather-resistant construction, as well as a fluorine coating on exposed elements, to benefit its use in harsh environmental conditions.
- This portrait-length L-series prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it will provide a 136mm equivalent focal length.
- Notably fast f/1.4 maximum aperture offers extensive control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques. This bright design also benefits working in low-light conditions.
- One glass-molded aspherical element helps to reduce distortion and spherical aberrations for improved sharpness and clarity.
- An Air Sphere Coating (ASC) has been applied to lens elements to reduce backlit flaring and ghosting for maintained light transmission and high contrast in strong lighting conditions.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with optimized AF algorithms, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and near-silent autofocus performance.
- Optical image stabilization minimizes the effects of camera shake by compensating for up to four stops of shutter speed.
- Full-time manual focus operation is available for fine-tuning of your focus position when working in the AF mode.
- Fluorine coatings on the front and rear surfaces help reduce fingerprints and smudging.
- A weather-resistant design protects the lens from dust and moisture to enable its use in inclement conditions.
- Nine rounded diaphragm blades contribute to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.