- Prime short telephoto-length lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 85mm, making it ideal for portraiture and other applications where a slightly longer-than-normal perspective and flattening appearance is desired.
- Bright f/1.2 maximum aperture is well-suited to low-light shooting and for controlling focus placement for shallow depth of field and selective focus applications.
- Signified by the APD designation, this lens incorporates an apodizing filter in order to produce controllable and aesthetically-pleasing bokeh, that is characterized by a sharp main subjects, tremendously blurred background, and an overall three-dimensional quality. These effects are further emphasized by seven rounded diaphragm blades, which help to develop a circular quality to out-of-focus highlights.
- Since the apodization filter performs best at wider aperture values, a 3-step ND filter is built into the lens to aid in controlling exposure. Using two separate sets of aperture values, the red series of numbers indicates the effective aperture value as it relates to depth of field. The standard white set of numbers indicates the actual f/stop number, and the difference between these two sets of numbers indicates the effectiveness of the filter.
- Comprised of 11 elements in 8 groups, the optical design includes one aspherical glass molded element, two extra-low dispersion elements, and three cemented elements. This sophisticated layout helps to minimize chromatic and spherical aberrations as well as color fringing and other distortions.
- An HT-EBC multi-layer coating minimizes lens flare and ghosting to deliver contrast-rich, color neutral imagery.
- An inner focusing mechanism maintains the overall lens length and moves only the smaller middle and rear elements during focusing for faster, more reliable performance.
- When used with an X-series camera that features a Lens Modulation Optimizer (LMO) function, the lens’ performance is enhanced to deliver consistent illumination and sharpness throughout the aperture range.